Re: Running ldconfig after the RPM transaction

* Daniel P. Berrangé:

> It has always struck me that ldconfig's impl isn't a great match for
> RPMs use case. IIUC ldconfig scans all files in all registered
> library directory paths, since it doesn't know what files might have
> changed since its last run (or does it check mtime at all to optimize
> work it does?)

It has a real auxiliary cache in /var/cache/ldconfig and uses the mtime
to check if it is up to date.

> RPM meanwhile definitely knows exactly what files
> it has just created/deleted/modified and thus need ldconfig
> processing.

There's also the matter of load path shadowing, so it's easier to
re-scan everything to deal with removals that reveal other files.

> Is there scope for optimizing ldconfig, or provide an alternative
> impl, that is able to process /only/ the libraries that RPM has
> just touched and thus not scan any other files or directories ?

I don't think ldconfig processing time is currently an issue for Fedora.

Thanks,
Florian