Specfile description and summary translations

I have problems interpreting the following check from fedora-review:

> [ ]: Description and summary sections in the package spec file contains translations for supported Non-English languages, if available.

In one of the first package reviews I made, I recall suggesting copying such translations from the desktop file which had many suitable translations. In the end, this suggestion was not followed, because a more experienced reviewer said that having translations in desktop file is not what is meant by 'translations are available' here — only an upstream specfile with translations would count.

I would like to update fedora-review as well as Review and Packaging Guidelines to explain what is expected for these translations. For that, I would need to understand the purpose of this check better. Perhaps somebody here has some insight?

I addition to the fedora-review check given above, I can find the following references:

Review Guidelines [1] have this entry, which is quite clearly the origin of the fedora-review check.

> SHOULD: The description and summary sections in the package spec file should contain translations for supported Non-English languages, if available.

That entry refers to Packaging Guidelines: Summary and description [2]. It has milder wording, saying 'can' instead of 'should':

> Packages can contain additional translated summary/description for supported Non-English languages, if available.

Assuming that the Packaging Guidelines are correct and that 'can' there means 'you can do it either way, Fedora as a distribution does not have any preference', I would say the above listed entries should simply be removed from both Review Guidelines and fedora-review. If Fedora has no preference either way, why should reviewers consider this at all?

There are some but not very many specfiles that actually have translations:

    $ grep -c 'Summary(' * | grep -v .spec:0 | wc -l
    137

Any thoughts?

[1]: https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/packaging-guidelines/ReviewGuidelines/ [2]: https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/packaging-guidelines/#_summary_and_description