Re: The Death of Java (packages)

On Mon, Aug 16, 2021 11:57:57 +0200, Vít Ondruch wrote:
> I wonder what are the requirements for using Copr? FAS account, but is there
> anything else? I think that maintaining packages in Copr for a while just to
> gain experience/confidence could deserve better promotion.

I think an FAS is pretty much all one needs:
https://docs.pagure.org/copr.copr/user_documentation.html

> BTW there is also Fedora Join SIG which focuses on improving of newcomers
> experience. However not sure how active this SIG is.

It's very active :D I'd note that the Join SIG only provides general
guidance to newcomers to help them find the right team/SIG/area to
participate in.  Since each team/SIG tends to have its own requirements
and on-boarding/sponsorship process, the newcomer will still have to
engage with the team to participate (or get sponsored in the case of the
package maintainers team).

If more package maintainers (and dev folks generally) can join the Join
SIG and help newcomers along, that'll be great. The idea is to get
newcomers better acquainted with the existing community so that they're
comfortable and confident enough to participate.

The process we have in place is noted here:
https://pagure.io/fedora-join/Welcome-to-Fedora

Basically, we get folks to create a Fedora account and then we file a
first "Welcome to Fedora" ticket for them where we provide them with
initial information about how Fedora is organised and what our
foundations are and so on. Then we help newcomers find the area/team/SIG
they'd like to work in and we guide them to joining it.

To join the Join SIG, you can just say "hello!" in a ticket here and
someone will add you to the Pagure and FAS groups so you get
notifications on new Welcome to Fedora tickets and so on.
https://pagure.io/fedora-join/Fedora-Join/new_issue

--
Thanks,
Regards,