Re: Systemd unit files installed into unowned directories

Björn Persson kirjoitti 6.8.2021 klo 2.44:
Petr Menšík wrote:
No, that is the reason why I proposed it. Guidelines already state
*-filesystem packages does not have to be depended on [1]. Just one,
probably systemd or systemd-libs, should depend on it to get it
installed. All other can then just ignore the directory exactly as you
have proposed. In this case it would not be breaking guidelines, but
according to them instead.

1.
https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/packaging-guidelines/#_file_and_directory_ownership

That is contradicted by the following quote from the Packaging
Guidelines:

| Sometimes, it may be preferable for such directories to be owned by
| an "artificial filesystem" package, such as mozilla-filesystem. These
| packages are designed to be explicitly required when other packages
| store files in their directories, thus, in such situations, these
| packages should explicitly Require the artificial filesystem package
| and not multiply own those directories.

That is, each of those 1600 packages would need to require
systemd-filesystem.

I have also had problems interpreting this part of the guidelines correctly. It is unclearly written. Already some months ago, I submitted a pull request to clarify things [1]. If somebody has ideas on how to make things even more clear, please comment on the pull request.

[1]: https://pagure.io/packaging-committee/pull-request/1061