Re: F35 Change: Restart User Services after Upgrade (very-very-very late System-Wide Change proposal)

Dne 29. 07. 21 v 11:37 Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek napsal(a):
Thanks. I added a paragraph and reworded some stuff. Please say if
you think there should be more.

ad Detailed Description - are the user services documented somewhere in upstream? I found just various blogposts describing this. Link to upstream documentation would be nice.

ad Scope

This:

is still vague. Especially the part "if appropriate". I suggest to write it like:

"""

When the service is safe to restart - e.g., app-sealertauto@autostart.service or evolution-addressbook-factory.service then package maintainer are suggests to switch from %systemd_user_postun to %systemd_user_postun_with_restart

When the service CANNOT be safely restarted - e.g. restarting of plasma-ksmserver.service results in log off - then FIXME do nothing, or what?

When you are in doubt and your service may or may not not result in bad user experience then FIXME (what than?).

ad How to Test

Look at logs or otherwise verify that the script was restarted, and for an update, that the new version is running.

This can be tricky and the log is quite verbose.

I suggests to run

$ systemctl --user status pipewire.service
● pipewire.service - Multimedia Service
     Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/user/pipewire.service; disabled; vendor preset: disabled)
     Active: active (running) since Fri 2021-07-30 12:43:34 CEST; 3s ago

And check whether the time is later then the time when the rpm transaction started.

Miroslav