Re: [EPEL-devel] Do we need Mock supported on EL7?

On Sat, Jul 17, 2021 at 9:19 AM Stephen John Smoogen <smooge@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Jul 2021 at 17:59, Pavel Raiskup <praiskup@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > We touched this topic several times before in our team.  Perhaps we should move
> > on and do it...  it would simplify a development (the yum/dnf hacks,
> > legacy systemd-nspawn hacks, podman requirement for building Fedora, etc.).
> >
> > I created an issue [1], can you please vote there if you are concerned?  If you
> > have a good argument for keeping the support, please write here or there (or
> > both).
> >
> > [1] https://github.com/rpm-software-management/mock/issues/755
> >

> First off, what does this mean:
>
> 1. you can't build EL7 packages anymore with mock? AKA we would need
> to stop building EPEL7
> 2. you can't use "mock" on systems after the XYZ version?
>
> Going from the graphs of growth, most of EL growth has been in EL7
> since last year. That said.. I expect that if there is a version which
> is 'known' to be the last working version of mock then people needing
> it can 'keep' that version on those systems as long as they need.

I've done backports of mock for some operating systems, to get updated
versions of mock-core-configs on Amazon Linux 2 for example.  You can
still compile older operating systems on modern operating systems. The
bigger problem is operating systems like Amazon Linux 2, or RHEL,
where the basic software repositories are not publicly accessible to
use on other systems. Either you have to use mock on those operating
systems to build for them, or you need to set up an internal yum
mirror with tools ike
https://github.com/nkadel/nkadel-rsync-scripts/blob/master/reposync-rhel-6.sh
.

EL 8 had its adoption poisoned by some very unwelcome choices by Red
Hat. That's a long rant of its own, one I've stated before in the
CentOS groups. But it means that EL 7 is going to be around a lot
longer than people may wish. If we can keep mock working for EL 7 for
longer, I'd be all on board. I especially want it for Amazon Linux 2,
where I provided some support for the Samba developers to port current
Samba releases to that EL 7 based but somewhat distinct environment.
(python3 is python 3.7 there, and they have python 3.8 available:
stuff built for RHEL 7 or CentOs 7 does not behave well there!)

Nico Kadel-Garcia