Re: F35 Change: tzdata-minimal (Self-Contained Change proposal)

On 7/6/21 2:38 PM, David Cantrell wrote:
> [...]
>> only, version of tzdata for containers.  The tzdata-minimal package
>> will be a stand-alone, UTC only, subset of tzdata. The tzdata package
>> will require tzdata-minimal.
>>
>> With this framework in place, other packages can develop code to
>> detect a minimal tzdata installation.  These packages will also need
>> to provide appropriate messages when users request timezone
>> information not available when only tzdata-minimal is installed.
>>
>> == Feedback ==
>> We have had requests for this functionality in order to support
>> minimal container installations.  Currently some container kickstart
>> installations already ad hoc remove most of the timezone information
>> provided by tzdata, leaving only UTC support available.  This change
>> provides a formal method of providing this support.
>>
>> Both the glibc and python teams are aware of this proposed change.
>> This change does not currently require changes in their code.  The
>> goal is for those packages that currently require tzdata as part of
>> their build or install, move towards recommending tzdata instead.
>>
>> == Benefit to Fedora ==
>> This change will reduce the size of base container installations.
>>
>> == Scope ==
>> * Proposal owners: Implement the proposal.
>> * Other developers: Developers need to ensure that their packages
>> continue to build and install with the new split tzdata/tzdata-minimal
>> package changes.
>>
>> * Release engineering: No coordination required with Release Engineering.
>> * Policies and guidelines: The policies and guidelines do not need to
>> be updated.
>> * Trademark approval: N/A (not needed for this Change)
>> * Alignment with Objectives: N/A
>>
>> == Upgrade/compatibility impact ==
>> The only visible change will be a new package tzdata-minimal required by tzdata.
>>

>> == How To Test ==
>> Run a dnf upgrade of tzdata and observe that tzdata-minimal is now
>> also installed as a dependency.
>>

>> == User Experience ==
>> Users will see that new updates to tzdata include a new package
>> dependency on tzdata-minimal.
>>

>> == Dependencies ==
>> This change does not require or depend on changes to other packages.
>> However, we hope that dependent packages will work towards
>> recommending tzdata for builds and installs rather than requiring it.
>>

>> == Contingency Plan ==
>> * Contingency mechanism: If we are unable to complete this feature by
>> the final development freeze, we will revert to the shipped
>> configuration.
>> * Contingency deadline: 100% Code complete deadline
>> * Blocks release? No
>>
>> == Documentation ==
>> No documentation changes are needed at this time.
>>

>> == Release Notes ==
>> The tzdata package is now divided into a UTC only package,
>> tzdata-minimal, and tzdata.
>
> What is supposed to be in tzdata-minimal?  Is it
> /usr/share/zoneinfo/UTC or that and more?

A little more is provided.

You need some of the name tables for certain use cases.

This is based on Intel's clear linux work in splitting the data.

> Forcibly removing tzdata on a fresh Fedora VM that I just set up has
> the system fall back to UTC, as expected.  On this incredibly small
> install, tzdata is required glibc-common, python3-libs, and
> python3-dateutil.  The last one is reasonable, but for all of them I
> ask if tzdata is actually a hard dependency or if it can become a weak
> dependency and this change proposal could become "make tzdata
> something easily removable" rather than creating more tzdata packages.

If you can minimally provide the tables of possible zones, and provide
an easy way to detect a zone is missing, then the APIs can determine:
"Yes you could do that, but your system is missing the data."
vs.
"That is an invalid zone."
Which is a useful distinction.

--