Re: Cascading library dependencies with different versions?

On Wed, Jul 7, 2021 at 1:42 PM Richard Shaw <hobbes1069@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> That's what I was afraid of. I'm doing my best to make sure I notice dependency chains like this but it's completely manual and could be error prone. There seem to be a lot of kde 4 related dependencies, some of them seem to build with OpenEXR 3.x but I think I'll keep the whole stack at 2.x just to be safe.

It sounds like you could use a dependency visualizer.  I've been
working on one this year; see https://pagure.io/depict.  I haven't had
time to work on it recently, but I hope to get back to it in a week or
2 and make the first actual release.

One of the tricks of using this particular dependency visualizer is
that it runs the dependencies all the way down to the bottom, which
often results in so much black ink that you can't actually see what is
going on.  I generally start by picking out all of the non-library
packages and adding them to --exclude (I've got to figure out a way to
do that automatically).  Then I start picking out parts of the graph
that I don't care about and adding them to --stop or --exclude.
Here's a command line to get you started:

python3 -m depict --input=json examples/rpm.js --input=rpm
--exclude=alternatives:bash:boost-filesystem:boost-iostreams:boost-locale:boost-program-options:boost-regex:boost-thread:ca-certificates:cmake-filesystem:coreutils:cracklib-dicts:crypto-policies:dejavu-sans-fonts:dracut:filesystem:gawk:glib2:glibc:google-droid-sans-fonts:grep:grub2-common:grubby:gzip:hicolor-icon-theme:hwdata:iso-codes:kbd:langpacks-core-font-en:libgcc:libgfortran:libgomp:libssh-config:libstdc++:libtool-ltdl:libX11:libX11-xcb:mkpasswd:openssl-pkcs11:opensubdiv:os-prober:pam:potrace:publicsuffix-list-dafsa:python3:python3-numpy:python3-requests:python3-setuptools:qt-settings:rtkit:sed:setup:shadow-utils:shared-mime-info:systemd:tbb:util-linux:which:zlib
--stop=elfutils-libs:fontconfig:gstreamer1-plugins-base:jemalloc:krb5-libs:libglvnd:libSM:libspnav:libXext:libXfixes:libXi:libXrender:libXtst:libXxf86vm:mesa-libGL:nss:pipewire-jack-audio-connection-kit:python3-libs:qt5-qtbase-gui:readline:systemd-libs
blender --output=dot blender.dot

You can then transform the dot file into any format dot supports, e.g.:

dot -Tpdf blender.dot > blender.pdf

I've attached the PDF derived from the above 2 invocations to this
message.  Regards,
--
Jerry James
http://www.jamezone.org/