Re: guile22 -> gnutls -> lots of virt packages

On Wed, Jul 7, 2021 at 7:38 AM Hans de Goede <hdegoede@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 7/7/21 1:08 PM, Florian Weimer wrote:
> > * Neal Gompa:
> >
> >> Wait, why don't we have guile 3.0?
> >
> > We have a mandate from Fesco that the core toolchain must depend on
> > Guile.  Naturally that makes updates rather difficult.
>
> So I've gone and checked the Fesco issue where dropping guile
> support from make + gdb was discussed:
>
> https://pagure.io/fesco/issue/2558
>
> And I must say that I find the argumentation for rejecting the
> change very very weak. I would really expect Fesco to make better
> motivated decisions then this one.
>
> I'm especially shocked about how Fesco is in essence mandating
> a group of maintainers to spend time maintaining a feature
> where they clearly have indicated they don't want to maintain
> that feature.
>
> My being shocked here is not so much about the guile issue,
> but about a IMHO much bigger issue underlying this decision:
>
> Since when does Fesco get to mandate on which features our
> volunteer maintainers get to spend there time ?
>
> I understand there need to be rules and I can understand
> Fesco denying approval for enabling / adding certain
> features for a wide set of reasons, thus in essence blocking
> volunteers from spending time on something because that
> something is deemed undesirable for Fedora.
>
> But this is different here Fesco is telling a group of
> maintainers that they must maintain a feature even though
> they have indicated that they find the benefits of that
> feature not worth the amount of time it costs to maintain
> support for that feature. So in essence Fesco is telling
> the maintainers that they MUST spend time maintaining this
> even though they don't want this.
>
> IMHO this is just outrageous and goes way way beyond the
> purview of Fesco.
>
> Now if dropping this feature would cause major breakage this
> would a different story, But in the whole discussion about
> this, at least as documented in the Fesco issue, no actual
> users of this feature have been indentified and nothing will
> break by disabling this as far is is known. So since there
> is no known breakage caused by this, I end up circling back
> to this basically telling Fesco that the make/gdb timers
> MUST spend them on maintaining this even though they
> don't want to (and have good reasons for not wanting to).
>
> Which again, is IHMO pretty outrageous really.
>
> Sorry Fesco, I know that you all do a lot of (hard) work
> as Fesco members and do your best when making decisions
> like this; and I don't doubt that your intentions where
> well, but you made a big booboo here (IMHO).
>
> I urge Fesco to reconsider this and I suggest that we
> (Fedora) take another serious look at implementing:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/RemoveGuileFromToolchain
> for Fedora 35.

If you want to be outraged at FESCo about this, then read the meeting
log first[1].

My main point then is that *all* of the Change authors are upstream
developers in the GNU Toolchain, meaning that they have to do
maintenance effort around Guile support upstream anyway. If they want
to remove a feature that makes Fedora the best place to use the GNU
Toolchain, they should do it upstream first.

I did not find their argumentation persuasive because they used
arguments that should be applied upstream and Fedora is not a special
case for any of those.

I don't personally *care* much about Guile support beyond the fact I
have a few private projects that use it in Makefiles, so it'd be
annoying if it was gone. And I was comfortable with being overruled in
my objections. I stated as much in the meeting even!

The fact was, the GNU Toolchain developers:

1. Did not show up to that FESCo meeting to try to persuade the rest
of the group to vote against me.
2. Did not consider either alternative I proposed (remove it upstream,
split guile support out in some way)

It was *barely* rejected by virtue of not reaching a majority vote to
pass. If they want to propose it again, then be my guest.

[1]: https://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/teams/fesco/fesco.2021-02-03-15.00.log.html