Re: Starting a riscv64 VM from an ArchLinux x86_64 host

Hi Fedora developers!

I'm trying to start a Fedora riscv64 VM on an ArchLinux x86_64 host based on this wiki page: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/RISC-V/Installing I have a reasonably recent qemu and virt-manager:

I'm not sure, but you might want to chat with david in #fedora-riscv

on Libera.

Also it may work better using libvirt to manage the guest.

Alright, I'll try to post into #fedora-riscv then.

For the record, I've re-done all my experiments on a Fedora machine today (an all-default Fedora 34 VM installed from the KDE spin live image). (For riscv emulation it hopefully shouldn't matter if the host is a VM or not. The machine can do nested virtualization, but this is irrelevant for emulation.)

I tried both raw qemu-system-riscv64 and libvirt, but sadly the results were exactly the same as before, both the address conflict and the qemu / OpenSBI freeze with the "conflicting" firmware image flag removed. Whatever the problem is, the ArchLinux host was likely not the cause. The raw qemu at least shows an OpenSBI splash text before freezing. With libvirt the console connection is hopelessly frozen and nothing appears.

Andrej