Re: Kudzu API Documentation

On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 21:38:15 -0400, Bill Nottingham <notting@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

As for using the API, it's deprecated in favor of HAL for use
for probing for devices; at this point, it's mainly a layer to
get the proper modules loaded at boot, and will eventually disappear.

	Great,  I've found that one key to a successful Red Hat/Fedora install is

rpm --erase kudzu

	nice to know that you're catching up.

(1) We're about to put a new server in production, RHEL 4, and after running up2date the system became unbootable, crashing when kudzu would run. removing kudzu solved the problem.

(2) I've got a home system that would have kudzu waste a great deal of time because my toddler would turn the power strips on and off that supplied a number of USB devices, in particular a set of speakers -- each time it flipped state, kudzu would come up and waste a lot of time, doing ~something~ that wasn't necessary, since I've always been able to plug and unplug USB devices without any help from kudzu, hal, or whatever.

(3) I installed RHL 9 for my wife's sister, and she complained about long boot times. Some investigation turned up a number of useless processes on boot that wasted a few seconds each, and kudzu was the worst of them.

I think kudzu is particularly intimidating to beginning Linux users -- Windows and Mac OS don't get into your face with 15 dialog boxes to answer because your USB speakers had a hiccup or because your mouse is having electrical problems.

I'd love to see good software for detecting and automatically doing something useful with hotplug hardware (say I plug in my digital camera, it recognizes the volume id of the flash card and mounts it in a certain place), but seeing how much GUI stuff in RH/Fedora has gone on for years in 1/3-2/3rds working states, everybody being too polite to say the emperor has no clothes, I'm not all that optimistic.