Re: Intent to retire python2-setuptools

On Wed, Jun 23, 2021 at 8:56 PM Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> EPEL already advises people to use Python 3 whenever possible for EL7.
> For EL8, Python 2 is strongly discouraged. And EL9 isn't even going to
> ship Python 2.

Sadly, their migrations to python3 are not complete and will probably
never approach completion. Between RHEL 8 and EPEL 7, there are
approximately 1300 python2 packages and approximately 500 python3
packages. Resolving the dependency conflicts between packages named
"python3-" and packages named "python36-" complicate backporting: I
took a shot at backporting the current python3 based ansible from
Fedora 34 to RHEL 7 today, and it became very awkward, very quickly.
(pytest dependencies were not my friend.)

> At this point, breaking Python 2 in Fedora is really not that big of a deal.

It's not a *big* deal. I suggest that it comes at a cost for EPEL
backports, especially for RHEL 7.