Re: Intent to retire python2-setuptools

On Wed, Jun 23, 2021 at 4:35 PM Miro Hrončok <mhroncok@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 23. 06. 21 21:23, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 23, 2021 at 1:53 PM Miro Hrončok <mhroncok@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hello Fedorans and especially Pythonistas.
> >>
> >> I'd like to retire python2-setuptools from Fedora 35+.
> >>
> >> It contains utilities to execute code downloaded from the internet and it has
> >> not been updated for 2 years. It has a potential of a security hole, although I
> >> am not currently aware of any.
> >
> > If utilities are going to be effectively backported to RHEL 7, it's
> > useful to have at least the hooks to support python2 until a stack of
> > critical utilities finally get updated to python3. This includes tools
> > maintained by Red Hat directly, such as ansible, which still uses
> > python2 for no reason I can ascertain. But they sell it as part of
> > their Ansible Tower commercial subscription, so I don't expect it to
> > to ever be updated for RHEL 7.
> >
> > Fedora should not be limited by specific version compatibility with
> > RHEL, but let's be careful when we potentially disable compatibility
> > with EPEL backports.
>
> I am afraid I don't follow. How does removal of python2-setuptools relate to
> ansible in RHEL7 or EPEL backports?

It doesn't directly. My concern is that as these are withdrawn,
packages which currently include "with_python2" setups in their spec
files will be unable to even test the options, and they'll be stripped
out as a matter of course since it will no longer be possible to even
test compilation under Fedora 35. Has "with_python2" been entirely
discarded for Fedora 35 spec files?

I see that the ansible SRPM in rawhide has already discarded any
support for python2, so that cannot be easily backported to RHEL 7
with continuing use of python2. Our friends doing EPEL support will
have to either do considerable work to continue python2 support, say
with "pyp2rpm", or cooperate with the switch to python3.