Re: RFC: Banning bots from submitting automated koji builds

On Sun, 2021-06-20 at 12:52 +0100, Peter Robinson wrote:
> > Rawhide is still not your CI environment. Years ago, we got rid of
> > alphas for the express purpose to stabilize Rawhide into alpha
> > quality. Stuff like this degrades the quality of Rawhide because they
> > make the assumption that nobody cares about the quality of Rawhide.
>
> Being one of the people driving that in rel-eng at the time, the other
> was dgilmore, that statement is incorrect. The dropping of Alphas was
> because we improved the compose to produce all release artifacts on
> the nightly composes, both rawhide and branched, instead of just the
> network installer and live images. Previously to that we only produced
> all artifacts with the TC/RC composes, we also got rid of the TCs as
> part of that process.

My recollection is that both of these things are correct. Having full
nightly composes was one part of dropping Alphas, but so was the idea
that Rawhide would continually maintain Alpha quality. This is why the
Basic release criteria exist - they are the requirements that Rawhide
is supposed to meet *all the time*. They say this right at the top:

"The objectives for all Branched and Rawhide nightly composes, as well
as Beta and Final releases, are to..."

The whole "Rawhide gating" idea was part of this: the idea was/is that
Rawhide composes should not be synced unless they meet the Basic
criteria. The rawhide_compose_sync_to_mirrors greenwave policy exists
to check this, but for whatever reason, the work of actually completing
this effort so compose sync doesn't happen unless that policy passes
was never done.

We've talked about various concerns around this in the past (the
technicalities of exactly how to implement it, and the concern that not
enough composes actually meet the requirements so we'd wind up with few
composes synced and a big disconnect between what's in the repos and
what's in Koji), but the *idea* has been there all along and I agree
with Neal that it was tied up with 'no more Alphas'.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA