OpenLDAP 2.5 - Fedora Release - Help Needed

Hi folks,
my name is Simon Pichugin and I am a maintainer for OpenLDAP.

Recently, OpenLDAP has released 2.5 version.
It has quite a big amount of changes - https://www.openldap.org/software/release/announce.html
And it includes a pretty important "Upgrading from 2.4.x" section - https://www.openldap.org/doc/admin25/guide.html#Upgrading%20from%202.4.x
Also, OpenLDAP on Fedora currently has links to a versioned library:

    ❯ ldconfig -p | grep libldap
    libldap_r-2.4.so.2 (libc6,x86-64) => /lib64/libldap_r-2.4.so.2
    libldap-2.4.so.2 (libc6,x86-64) => /lib64/libldap-2.4.so.2

This makes it harder to upgrade as a lot of packages depend on the versioned one (and the new package has only libldap-2.5.so.2 library. (I even filed an issue to sudo but I think it's not related to them much - https://github.com/sudo-project/sudo/issues/105 )

I came here for advice as the upgrade can be a sensitive subject for many users.

What I think can be done:
  • Rework openldap-compat package for openldap 2.5, so it will include libldap-2.4 libs (both with and without '_r'). I am not exactly sure what's the proper way to do this (make a tarball with the compiled libldap-2.4 libs and place it to the repo - would be okay?)
  • Openldap 2.5 package will include only libldap-2.5.so.2 library and while testing we will tag it with some build tag so we can make sure that everything builds with it successfully.
I am not sure how we can help openldap-servers package users. Should we create a change proposal that will include all of the information about the upgrade (from the OpenLDAP Upstream guide)? And hope that they will read it before the package upgrade? Is there any other way to notify them during 'dnf update'?

Please, share any of your thoughts on this issue. I'll come to a decision sometime soon as we need to get OpenLDAP 2.5 at least in some state to the Fedora Rawhide so it can be properly tested.

Thank you for all of your great work on our awesome Fedora!

Sincerely,
Simon

P.S. the PR for 2.5 change was filed by a community member and we already have some discussion there - https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/openldap/pull-request/6