Re: systemd unit auto-enabling question

On Thu, Jun 17, 2021 at 07:48:24AM -0500, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 17 2021 at 11:52:44 AM +1000, Peter Hutterer
> <peter.hutterer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > What I need is manager.service being auto-enabled at install time. How
> > do I
> > get this done?
>
> Hi, you're missing a systemd preset. You generally need FESCo approval to
> add a preset. See:
>
> * https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/fedora-release/tree/rawhide,
> specifically 90-default-user.preset
> * https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/packaging-guidelines/DefaultServices/
>
> That said, we already have user session presets for pipewire in
> 90-default-user.preset:
>
> enable pipewire.socket
> enable pipewire-pulse.socket
>
> This allows Pipewire to be enabled by default, but via socket activation
> only. The lack of a preset for pipewire.service itself seems to be
> intentional.

Thanks for the info. The preset for pipewire.socket affects only the daemon
itself, not the manager process (pipewire-media-session or wireplumber,
depending on which one of the two is installed).

What this means is that pipewire starts up fine after installing, but
neither management daemon starts automatically after install, it needs the
manual systemctl enable.

Right now pipewire gets around this by hardcoding pipewire-media-session and
starting it directly (instead of the systemd service) but that makes it hard
to replace.

Anyway, sounds like I'd need to get the FESCo approval for both packages
then?

Cheers,
   Peter