Re: x86_64-v2 in Fedora

On Wed, Jun 16, 2021 at 3:23 PM Matthew Miller <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 16, 2021 at 02:57:17PM +0200, Vitaly Zaitsev via devel wrote:
> > >We'll at least gather information about capabilities of Fedora
> > >users hardware.
> > Telemetry is evil. It must not be allowed.
>
> Well, that's certainly A Position. I don't think it's anything nearly so
> absolute, though, and depends on what, who, how, why, and a host of other
> things. And "it can help us answer questions like this for our community" is
> a pretty non-evil "why".

I think there can be a lot of benefit in anonymized hardware data (not
mandatory).  It does help answer questions like this, but more
importantly, it would make a lot of the kernel work a bit easier, or
at least more focused.   It answers questions like, "should we enable
these drivers as they are likely to be used?" or "can we disable these
drivers because no one is using them?". It is also very helpful in
working out bug priority in drivers.  A lot of people never bother
filing bugs, and are happy to keep booting a known good kernel since
we allow parallel installs. If we get a few users chiming in, and
realize the hardware in question is used by a significant chunk of
users, it would  tell me that perhaps that should take priority over a
bug which impacts hardware with considerably fewer users.   Yes, you
have to be extremely careful about what data you collect, and how that
data is handled, but if done correctly, there are a lot of benefits.

Justin