Re: Experience on src.fedoraproject.org as non-packager

On Wed, Jun 16, 2021 at 01:33:08PM +0100, Ankur Sinha wrote:
On Wed, Jun 16, 2021 14:03:26 +0200, Ewoud Kohl van Wijngaarden wrote:
Hello everyone,

Hi Ewoud,

Even though I've now been sponsored as a packager, I did want to share my
experience since it was a bit frustrating.

If you do have a FAS account, you can log in on src.fedoraproject.org and
can even fork repositories. However, on the clone URL you only see the
anonymous git URL. That means you have no way to push changes to your fork.
That also means you can't submit a PR to repositories using your fork. The
end result is that it's very hard to contribute to repositories.

My suggestion is to either give non-packagers the URL (and if needed
permission) to push to their own forks or remove the ability to fork a
repository.

Thanks for the feedback. Do these instructions not work? They indicate
that one is able to push to their forks. If this doesn't work,
something's broken somewhere and will need looking into.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Package_maintenance_guide#Using_fedpkg_anonymously

(linked from: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Join_the_package_collection_maintainers#One-off_contributions)

Interesting, I had not tried that.

What I used was the clone button. That shows a small dialog with this (as packager):

   Source Code

     SSH <SSH_URL>
     GIT <GIT_URL>

As non-packager it does NOT have the SSH URL. So what I initially did was to manually clone it with git, not fedpkg. Then you have no way to push.

It looks like fedpkg clone does configure a credential helper which probably allows you to push via SSH.

It would be my recommendation to add a third "URL" to it and that's the fedpkg command to clone.

If a non-packager can push using SSH, I would also add that URL unconditonally. I could not find the URL as non-packager so I can't say if you have that permission. It would make sense to me that you do.

This may be difficult. It looks like this is the relevant template:

https://pagure.io/pagure/blob/master/f/pagure/templates/repo_master.html

That suggests it can't easily be modified just for Fedora.