Re: Introduction: Trevor McKay

Am 16.06.21 um 05:12 schrieb Trevor McKay:
My name is Trevor and I was hoping to contribute to the Fedora project
in the form of packaging.

Welcome!

introduce myself here. I have a few years of Linux experience as well as
Rust, Python and C/C++ development. I am, however, completely new to
packaging and contributing to open-source, so any advice is very much
welcome.

I think Fedora has pretty nice Python packaging and I think rust skills are also a welcome addition as there is a growing number of rust software in the open source ecosystem.

You can check out the SIG pages for Rust+Python. There are separate mailing lists for these SIGs (though fedora-devel works as well):

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Python
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Rust

I am interested in packing `bottom`, a package for system monitoring
that I find fairly useful.

There is a Fedora package by "atim" (real name AFAIK "Artem Polishchuk", ego.cordatus@xxxxxxxxx) in COPR:

https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/atim/bottom/

Probably there is a reason why this is not yet in Fedora (missing dependencies? licensing?) so you could ask him and maybe help getting this into Fedora.

Sometimes you need to spend a lot of effort to get upstream's build system in line with Fedora's policies (no network access during build, so all dependencies must be packaged inside Fedora) but together we can create a really nice platform which can be used for stuff nobody envisioned at the beginning. (For example I'm using Fedora's mingw packaging to cross-compile a commercial application for Windows and I spent several days before discovering Fedora's packages. Also more time with Linux instead of fighting Visual Studio => sanity++)

Anyway: If you have any questions, just ask. (And if you are not comfortable asking publicly, just contact me privately. Not much time here but I'm happy to help new Fedora contributors.)

Felix