Re: [HEADS UP] Fedora 35 Python 3.10 rebuilds have started in a side tag

On ma, 14 kesä 2021, Adam Williamson wrote:
On Mon, 2021-06-14 at 15:40 +0300, Alexander Bokovoy wrote:

> The fact that this blocks FreeIPA was indeed only discovered by chance
> while the side tag rebuild was already in progress (and about to be
> merged). I wonder haw can we improve the process to ensure problems
> like this are known to FreeIPA maintainers since the beginning and
> prioritized accordingly. (Ideally, the process would not only be
> improved for FreeIPA but the entire distro.)

Well, this is a dependency problem in the first place. When an ABI
change happens, like a Python ABI change with 3.10 mass-rebuild, it
should be assumed and expected that until all previously successfully
built packages were to be rebuilt, there will be broken dependencies.
Perhaps, we could extend our existing checks for a broken compose to be
done on a side-tag on demand? This way mass-rebuilders could ask for
such a run one they consider to be ready to merge and see how that
side-tag merge would affect the distribution. I don't think we have a
better way to detect it before the merge.

Note, we did do a limited version of this; I built a Rawhide installer
image with Python 3.10 and ran a subset of openQA tests on it. We did
not include the FreeIPA tests in that, which was a bit of an oversight;
however, FreeIPA tests failed for an unrelated reason in the compose
before the merge, so it wouldn't necessarily have turned up the issue
anyway.

I think in this particular case even getting a compose closure would
have been enough to get us on track to mod_wsgi problem.

We do have the ODCS - https://pagure.io/odcs ,
https://odcs.fedoraproject.org/composes/ - which we might be able to
use to do this in a more comprehensive and organized way, but I haven't
checked in on exactly what its capabilities are lately. I don't know if
it's possible to request a compose "like Rawhide, but with this side
tag" from it. We might also be able to get releng to hand-roll one, I
guess.

Thanks, this would be a great contribution to side-tag rebuilds.
We are using a similar tooling in RHEL *a lot* (in fact, for IDM CI
testing we do it with every package update).

--
/ Alexander Bokovoy
Sr. Principal Software Engineer