Re: When is pappl going to be good enough to replace cups?

Stephen John Smoogen wrote:

> On Mon, 24 May 2021 at 22:30, Kevin Kofler via devel <
> devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Solomon Peachy wrote:

>> > I don't think it's controversial to say that one needs to print from
>> > whatever computing devices one uses.
>>
>> If I am sitting next to my printer, I have a desktop computer in front of
>> me
>> from which I can issue the print job, so why would I want to do it from a
>> notebook or smartphone?
>>
> Kevin.  No one is saying YOU want to print from your phone. However this
> software is not written just for you. Solomon and others do not write the
> software just for you but for the several million people who have to use
> printers in all different kinds of environments.

What I am objecting to is the assumption that all of those several million
people will want to print from anything with a CPU ("whatever computing
devices one uses") or that that is even the common case.

Of course, if all you have is a smartphone, then you will want to print from
it. But that is not going to be the central use case for Fedora (even though
it may be a niche use case for those running Fedora on the PinePhone ;-) ).

> For a good proportion of those people out there.. printing from the phone
> is an expected feature be it instagram memes or that pdf your department
> head sent out which is too small to read on the phone.

Sent out per e-mail? Then you fire up your desktop e-mail client (on your
desktop or notebook) and print from there.

> So it is going to be something Solomon and others will focus on or they
> might as well scrap printing.

That is quite a strong wording.

        Kevin Kofler