Re: When is pappl going to be good enough to replace cups?

On 5/26/21 7:05 AM, Zdenek Dohnal wrote:
Hi Robert,

On 5/24/21 2:39 PM, Robert Marcano via devel wrote:
On 5/24/21 3:29 AM, Zdenek Dohnal wrote:

Devices which currently depend on a deprecated functionality -
printer drivers and raw queues - will need a printer application once
the deprecated functionality is removed from CUPS. This application
will advertise the device on localhost via MDNS protocol and will
communicate with CUPS via IPP, both public well-known protocols. The
only place where the data can turn into proprietary is filtering, but
it's the same with printer drivers.

--

Greetings, Is there any plan to support these IPP printer applications
over Unix domain sockets?

pappl supports listening on domain sockets (IIUC the docs
https://www.msweet.org/pappl/pappl.html), so if a printer application
decides on it will use domain sockets, it is possible.

Thanks for the information. Last time I saw some reluctance from CUPS maintainers (before the fork) to add domain sockets support for IPP, that was the reason I asked. If pappl can do it now I presume CUPS will be able to use these printers.

I manage a virtual printer that uses CUPS filters and backends to
capture documents to an application database. We have been using CUPS
authentication features to control who can use the printer, and not to
have to reimplement authentication on the filter and backends. With
network bound IPP applications, anyone on the same multiuser machine
would be able to bypass CUPS and send documents directly unless I
duplicate CUPS authentication functionality. Unix sockets would help
with that,
https://pagure.io/fedora-infrastructure