Re: When is pappl going to be good enough to replace cups?

On Fri, May 21, 2021 at 18:19 Kevin Kofler via devel <devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Zdenek Dohnal wrote:
> It is a library for printer applications [1], not a substitute for CUPS.
> CUPS is still present and is going to be.
>
> There will be more printer applications coming into Fedora
> (ps-printer-app f.e.) and one already is (lprint).
>

> The purpose of the library is have a way how to implement a support for
> devices which don't support IPP Everywhere [2] or its derivations
> (Airprint, Mopria, Google cloud print) or IPP over USB[3], so they can
> be seen by CUPS once we remove printer driver support.

I really don't see how the switch from drivers to printer applications is an
improvement. All the existing drivers have to be ported to the new interface
to essentially emulate the IPP protocol. And now, instead of being able to
configure printer options through the existing graphical CUPS frontends (or
just set them temporarily in the individual application, which most
applications support nowadays), you end up with a CLI as in the old lpr
days, e.g.:
https://www.msweet.org/lprint/lprint.html#printing-options
https://www.msweet.org/lprint/lprint.html#setting-default-options
or at best, a GUI provided by the printer application in some arbitrary
toolkit, which will likely be GTK for Gutenprint (forcing KDE Plasma users
to use a GTK application to configure their printer) and Qt for HPLIP
(forcing GNOME users to use a Qt application to configure their printer).
Instead of a standardized interface to configure printer options, every
printer application now has to reinvent its own one.

>From the end user perspective, the new approach brings only disadvantages.
>From the driver developer perspective, it means a lot of porting work. The
only ones who will benefit are the CUPS developers, who will have
successfully outsourced their work to other projects that now have to do
their work for them.

Yes it is a bad situation but I don’t think there are a set of ‘CUPS’ developers versus one person trying to keep the software going. Apple stopped supporting the product and msweet is working for himself now. lprint seems to be a ‘make a best out of a bad situation’.

I don’t know what any other alternatives there are as more and more printers seem to be wanting you to send your prints to some central web server they own and then will talk with your printer and print the task. Or they say they support the IPP but really its an app on your machine which just takes it and makes it something proprietary and trying to talk ipp to the printer fails.

        Kevin Kofler
Stephen J Smoogen.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Flame wars in sci.astro.orion. I have seen SPAM filters overload because of Godwin's Law. All those moments will be lost in time... like posts on  BBS... time to reboot.