Re: F35 Change proposal: Smaller Container Base Image (remove sssd-client, util-linux, shadow-utils) (Self-Contained Change)

On Thu, May 20, 2021 at 3:17 AM Miroslav Lichvar <mlichvar@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, May 19, 2021 at 09:34:16AM +0100, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
> > FWIW, there's also debian:stable-slim at 72 MB
> >
> > > registry.opensuse.org/opensuse/leap            latest   1a798c6c690f  5
> > > days ago    108 MB
> > > docker.io/library/ubuntu                       latest   7e0aa2d69a15  3
> > > weeks ago   75.1 MB
> >
> > So we need to cull 45 MB / 36% of 'fedora-minimal' to reach this target,
> > or 112 MB / 60% of 'fedora'.
>
> I suspect that is going to be difficult. It seems the biggest single
> application there is microdnf and it's huge dependencies, like glib2.
> Maybe linking it statically would help, but we don't want to go there,
> right?
>
> At what point this stops being Fedora? It already uses a different
> implementation of the package manager.

The intent with the next major version of DNF is to drop Python and
glib2 from the dependency chain for a minimal container environment.
The new Micro DNF is written in C++ and is getting the functionality
from DNF itself ported to it (including a helper to load Python based
plugins so that the main tool can be in C++). The goal of the DNF team
is to eliminate all the differences between DNF and Micro DNF for v5
and have a unified C++ DNF tool.