Re: Bodhi critpath package updates now gated on openQA results

> On Fri, 2021-05-14 at 06:06 +0200, Michal Srb wrote:
> >
> > I thought, under the hood, the button is just telling Bodhi to send the
> > "bodhi.update.status.testing.koji-build-group.build.complete" [1] message
> > again, so all CI systems listening should trigger? This isn't the case for
> > openQA?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Michal
> >
> > [1]:
> > https://apps.fedoraproject.org/datagrepper/raw?topic=org.fedoraproject.prod.bodhi.update.status.testing.koji-build-group.build.complete&delta=18000
>
> Ah, I didn't remember precisely what it does :D
>
> openQA doesn't currently trigger off that message, for the fairly
> simple reason that it didn't exist when I wrote the openQA update
> triggering stuff. It triggers off Bodhi "update submitted to testing"
> and "update edited" messages.
>
> I can take a look at whether I can adjust it to use that message as
> well/instead, I'll have to make a bit of time for it tomorrow.

Well, I looked into it a bit, and...

https://github.com/fedora-infra/bodhi/issues/4217

is where I'm at. I kind of don't want to change the openQA tests to
always trigger on koji-build-group.build.complete , for a specific
reason: it's sent when the update is pushed to updates-testing. This
gets done in batches. So if I use that message at the trigger, openQA
will sit there idle most of the time, then when an updates-testing push
happens, it will try and test a *lot* of updates, all at once. It only
has limited worker capacity, so some will wind up sitting in a queue
for maybe several hours.

The openQA tests do not retrieve the packages from updates-testing -
they pull them directly from Koji - so they don't need to wait for them
to be in updates-testing. So things work quite nicely now, where we
schedule the openQA tests whenever a maintainer pushes the button to
submit the update or edit it; this way we don't get sudden batches of
multiple updates to test at once, usually, and the work is spread out
over time.

So ideally I would like to adjust the triggering to only trigger tests
on that koji-build-group.build.complete message *when it is marked as
being a re-trigger request*. But I can't really do that,
because...well...that bug.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA