Re: PWG virtual meetup 2021

On 5/5/21 8:35 PM, Neal Gompa wrote:
> On Wed, May 5, 2021 at 2:27 PM Zdenek Dohnal <zdohnal@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I attended PWG virtual meetup 2021 yesterday and today and created
>> reported about it.
>>
>> Highlights:
>>
>> - CUPS got into OpenPrinting group from Apple
>>
> I'm confused, what does this mean? I saw a while back that
> OpenPrinting had a fork of it. I see now that the fork relationship is
> broken, but it seems like both Apple and OpenPrinting have trees.
> What's going on now?

Hi Neal,

basically the best and complete explanation can be found in Mike's CUPS
Plenary in PWG meetup (page 4 and on) [1], but I'll try to sum it up.

Apple basically stopped developing CUPS since the end of 2019, when Mike
Sweet (author of CUPS, PWG and OpenPrinting member) left Apple. Apple
didn't show any intent to work on CUPS at github (except one squash of
commits for CVEs in March 2020) - either it is an active development
(which is needed for moving to world without drivers) or
responding/solving upstream issues, so Mike forked CUPS from Apple to
OpenPrinting after some time of Apple inactivity. So OpenPrinting CUPS
version became upstream for CUPS packages in Linux (at least in Fedora,
Debian, Ubuntu AFAIK) and we will follow the Openprinting fork.

Recently, Mike has accepted Apple's offer to do some bugfixes in
Apple/CUPS, but Apple isn't interested in active development, so Linux
stays with Openprinting.

[1]
https://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/liaison/openprinting/presentations/cups-plenary-may-2021.pdf

--