Re: PWG virtual meetup 2021

On 5/5/21 8:31 PM, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Wed, May 05, 2021 at 08:27:08PM +0200, Zdenek Dohnal wrote:
>> I attended PWG virtual meetup 2021 yesterday and today and created
>> reported about it.
> Thanks! Printers are objectively every sysadmin's least favorite (even beating
> out DNS), so I really appreciate you and everyone working on making it
> better!

You're welcome! IMO the situation is a lot better since 2015 when both
(network printers got the driverless support sooner - in 2010) network
and usb printers got driverless standards implemented into actual devices.

Driverless support for network printers comes with cups and cups-filters
projects by default, so it is in Fedora since upstream introduced it.
Regarding USB printers, I packaged ipp-usb project into Fedora last
year, so printers supporting IPP-over-USB work without driver too.

Additionally, if your scanner/multi function device (MFD) supports IPP
over USB, you have it connected via USB and your device supports eSCL or
WSD protocols for scanning, you can even scan driverlessly with
sane-airscan. Network scanners/MFD in the same LAN work out-of-the-box
once you put your device into your LAN and let Avahi to do its job (all
LAN printing/scanning heavily depends on mDNS).

And once your PC supports driverless printing/scanning, your device has
driverless support (AirPrint/IPP Everywhere/Mopria for printing,
eSCL/WSD for scanning + IPP over USB if you connect via USB) and once
you configure your PC (allow ipp and mdns in firewall, have avahi-daemon
running) and device (enabled IPP, eSCL or WSD) you don't need to install
a device at all. Your printer will 'appear' just at the time you print
(in print dialog) and goes away after successful printing (so it does
not block any of memory resources).

Printing/scanning to devices outside of LAN requires more steps -
usually you need to setup cups-browsed to browsepoll your print server
(which currently has the most issues and I'm working on it to make it
better) or install a permanent printer via a printer tool.

So IMO it got better since times when there were a difficult questions
like 'Is printer supported in Linux?' and 'How to install it in Linux?'
- since any new device in shop is okay and installing works
out-of-the-box for desktops.

More terminology and tricks here [1] and here [2].

[1]
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_debug_printing_problems#Terminology_for_printing_and_scanning

[2]
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_debug_printing_problems#Useful_tricks

P.S. I know the page should be rewritten into docs.fedoraproject (I and
Matt even talked together about it once), I have never got a time to do
that. So if someone is willing to rewrite it in docs.fedoraproject, give
me access to edit it and merge the changes, that person is very welcomed :)

--
Zdenek Dohnal
Software Engineer