Re: Intention to dropping the the "Allow SSH root login with password" option from the installer GUI

On Thu, Apr 29, 2021 at 4:11 PM Martin Kolman <mkolman@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi!
> At the moment the Anaconda installer used by Fedora contains an option
> called "Allow SSH root login with password" on the root password
> configuration screen.
>
> This is how it looks like at the moment, on latest Fedora Rawhide
> installer image:
>
> https://m4rtink.fedorapeople.org/screenshots/fedora/rawhide_f35/root_password_screen.png

> If you are aware of some critical Fedora/Fedora spin usecase that
> depends on users regularly ticking this option, please let us know!

Local root passwords can be set to expire. SSH keys are not nearly so
easy to enforce expiration  for, so there are some use cases. I've
used it for VM's at home, because I may not have my private SSH keys
on the other VM.