Re: GNOME only: KeepassXC quirks

On Sat, May 1, 2021 at 10:09 AM Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sat, May 1, 2021 at 9:48 AM Owen Taylor <otaylor@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, May 1, 2021, 7:51 AM Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >>
> >> In general, I'd like to see if we can figure out *why* Mutter isn't
> >> doing the right thing for Qt applications and why they're breaking
> >> this way, because the fact that they're fine in Plasma Wayland and not
> >> on GNOME Wayland points to Mutter needing work here.
> >

> > That doesn't make any more logical sense than "the fact that GTK applications work fine with Mutter points to Qt needing work here." Without a diagnosis, it's impossible to say.
> >

> GTK applications work fine on KWin (modulo some missing Wayland
> protocols not being implemented in GTK3), so I'm reasonably confident
> that the problem is in Mutter.

How is that relevant? Qt is making some assumptions about the
compositor behavior which don't hold with mutter - and we don't know
whether it's Qt relying on things that accidentally work with Kwin, or
Mutter not properly implementing parts of the Wayland protocol that
GTK doesn't use. [roughly speaking ... not comprehensively listing all
possibilities]

> > If we can put someone who understands Qt together with someone who understands Mutter it should be possible to figure out what is going on. If the fix is hard, then reverting the Qt change until F35 might be needed, but patching a reversion to X into Qt apps one-by-one doesn't seem like something we'd want to do: it would leave unpatched apps affected, we might forget to remove some of the patches, and it's going to make things altogether more confusing.

> I agree, do we know anyone who understands Mutter that could work with
> someone who understands Qt to figure this out? I've got a couple of
> folks in mind who could help on the KDE side (who I've CC'd to this
> email).

Added Jonas Adahl (all things output), Carlos Garnacho (all things
input) and Oliver Fourdan (compat problems expert) to the Cc:- one of
them should be able to help.

Since the context is trimmed, the thread here is:
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/thread/PZCV4KM5W2PI34GT2PK6QUGOVODVA6HW/

Owen