Re: GNOME only: KeepassXC quirks

Hi,

On 4/30/21 3:33 PM, Vitaly Zaitsev via devel wrote:
> On 30.04.2021 12:23, Germano Massullo wrote:
>> There are many Fedora GNOME Wayland users experiencing quirks in using KeepassXC. Textboxes not showing text that is being written, other quirks with GNOME, etc.
>
> There are a lot of issues with Mutter and Qt5[1]. That's why the Qt upstream forces XCB backend for the Gnome 3, but Fedora removes it in downstream[2], as approved by the system-wide proposal[3].
>
> Please try the following:
> QT_QPA_PLATFORM=xcb /usr/bin/keepassxc

Ah interesting, I use calibre regularly under a GNOME3 wayland sessions and
I have noticed some weird issues there too, like the "completion" pop-ups
for things like the Author and Series fields which allow you to select an
Author / Series already used for other books showing up in completely
the wrong places, as well as right-click context(sub)menus also showing up
in completely the wrong places too.

I also use the audacious media-player for music in its x11amp compatible
skinned mode and that is has serious issues when used without
QT_QPA_PLATFORM=xcb under GNOME3. I thought this was just a special case
because of the skinned UI, but I now see that it is part of a wider pattern.

I was going to write the following here:

"""
I can understand if the KDE SIG wants to use Wayland by default when running
a KDE Wayland session, but under GNOME3 this indeed seems like a bad idea for now.

Maybe instead the QT_QPA_PLATFORM environment option can be set in the
KDE wayland session, so that Wayland is used there while leaving GNOME3
alone ?
"""

Which seems like a reasonable compromise to me, but then I looked at the
patch from [2] and it seems that that is the upstream default and the
Fedora packages are actually overriding this sensible upstream default.

> I think this downstream patch should be dropped from Fedora.

I tend to agree, it seems this downstream patch breaks at least 3 apps:

1. KeepassXC
2. calibre
3. audacious

And I have a feeling it breaks all Qt apps to at least some extend, now the
changes process page [3] does list a couple of reasons why this is necessary,
but I just checked and calibre looks fine with the mutter provided window
decorations for X11 windows instead of using CSD, so this does not seem like
a strong argument.

I can understand that it is desirable to make this change, but it seems that
QT5 just is not completely ready for this yet. For me the patch[2] breaks
2/2 Qt apps which I regularly used, so it seems that it would be best to drop
this downstream modification for now.

Regards,

Hans