Re: plocate?

(added mlocate maintainer msekleta in Ccs; hopefully that's a still
valid address)

Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote on Sat, Feb 20, 2021 at 02:06:00PM +0000:
> Debian is apparently switching to plocate as the the default
> locate/mlocate provider [0], a bit faster and more disk-efficient.
> Would it make sense to do the same in Fedora?
>
> I prepared a package [1, 2]. The code seems nice and clean enough.
> I'd be happy to take it through review, but I'm not particular keen
> on long-term maintenance…

Having just tried I think it'd make sense, the difference is striking.
Small db update is a bit slower but that's a background activity, and
search really feels instant (tens of ms) compared to a handful of
seconds.

I think that'll require a bit more work though, and we can start by just
having the package available it doesn't have to be the default right
away (I remembered that there was a discussion but not where it had
ended, so was surprised to find no package in main repos!)

In particular I think we'll need to first rework mlocate to use
alternatives for locate/updatedb, so plocate can use the same names
while keeping both packages parallely installable.

I guess it'd also be fine if the packages would just plain Conflict and
overwrite each other but it's important the commands stay the same
(In that case we can probably also get away by not including
plocate-build in the package, the command converts mlocate db to plocate
format and is probably not going to see any use)

(I'm willing to help with the one-time transition to alternatives if
that's the way forward, or the initial package integration, but I don't
think it'd be reasonable to take plocate myself given my free time
lately... Anyway, let's discuss where we want to go first)

--
Dominique