Re: F35 Change: CompilerPolicy Change (System-Wide Change proposal)

On 4/27/21 8:52 AM, Kevin Kofler via devel wrote:
Tom Stellard wrote:
I don't really want to get in into a debate about specific packages, but
your general point that upstream preference may not be best for Fedora is
a good one, and it's why the proposal was changed from "packagers should
use upstream preference" to "packagers should use best judgement".

That amounts to saying that every packager can use whatever compiler they
want, which basically means we do not have a preferred compiler at all
anymore. I do not consider this acceptable.

The change proposal defines a default compiler for Fedora:

"The default compiler for Fedora is gcc or when upstream doesn't support gcc,
then the default compiler is clang. "

The actual text from the change proposal that describes when a packager may
switch from the default is:

"Given a good technical reason, a packager may:

    Choose to build with their package with clang even if the upstream project supports gcc.
    Choose to build with gcc even if upstream does not support it.
"

-Tom

         Kevin Kofler