Re: The Death of Java (packages)

On Mon, Apr 26, 2021 at 9:26 PM Fabio Valentini <decathorpe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I will orphan all Java packages I am the main admin of, later today.

I've adopted the majority of Java packages that were orphaned by Fabio,
primarily those that are related to Maven or Ant.

I've been maintaining numerous Java packages in Fedora for more than 9
years.  As modularity was developed, I saw it as an opportunity to
make my life as a package maintainer easier.  Initially I tried to make
Maven and Ant available as default streams and in the buildroot so
they could be available and consumed by non-modular packages.  In the
end that did not and I completely respect the decisions of FESCo to
disallow default streams to then to disallow modules except for
alternative versions.  That means I'll be maintaining Maven and Ant
with their runtime and build dependencies as non-modular packages.

My plans for the upcoming months regarding adopted packages include:

 1) triaging all open bugs and reviewing all open pull requests,

 2) closing the gap between Fedora and CentOS, by merging dist-git
    contents of appropriate components in Fedora Rawhide and CentOS
    Stream 9,

 3) unretiring some of Maven and Ant dependencies,

 4) improving testing automation, especially implementing
    package-specific tests for use in gating,

 5) automating the process of bootstrapping Maven and Ant with related
    components, so that new versions can be imported and built
    reproducibly and with consistent quality.

 6) restoring Maven compatibility with OpenJDK 8, so that users who
    are stuck with older JDKs have an ability to keep using their
    build tools with JDK of their preference.

--
Mikolaj Izdebski