Re: How to handle pull request with git?

On Wed, Apr 14, 2021 at 04:04:21PM +0200, Robert-André Mauchin wrote:
> On 4/14/21 3:28 PM, Mark Wielaard wrote:
> > I got a "pull request" for one of my packages and wanted to make some
> > changes to discuss with the submitter and see if we could merge it
> > back with those changes to the rawhide branch. But somehow I did
> > something wrong and I am not sure what or how to fix it.
> >
> > So I saw this webpage with the suggested change:
> > https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/valgrind/pull-request/4
> >
> > I added the following line to my .git/config at the end of the [remote
> > "origin"] section to be able to pull it:
> >
> > fetch = +refs/pull/*/head:refs/remotes/origin/pr/*
> >
> > Then git pulled and checkout pr/4, made the changes, committed them
> > and pushed them back, hoping that would update the pr.
> >
> > But it didn't, apparently I created a new origin/pr/4 branch, which I
> > am now unable to delete because:
> >
> > $ git push origin --delete pr/4
> > remote: Branch deletion is not allowed
> > remote: Denied push for ref 'refs/heads/pr/4' for user 'mjw'
> > remote: All changes have been rejected
> > To ssh://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/rpms/valgrind
> >   ! [remote rejected] pr/4 (pre-receive hook declined)
> > error: failed to push some refs to 'ssh://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/rpms/valgrind'
> >
> > What did I do wrong and how do I fix this?
> >

> 1. You clone the forked repository
> 2. You checkout the branch where the modification has been made
> 3. You edit the files you want to change
> 4. You commit (or amend) the new changes
> 5. You push (or force push) the commit
> 6. Your commit will appear in the Pull Request ar "Rebased blah blah"
> 7. Merge your changes

Thanks. So I believed I was doing the above, but apparently not.
Would you mind explaining steps 1, 2 and 5 a bit more.

So what I did to clone the prs was to add that extra fetch line in my
.git/config. Which seemed to allow me to pull and work on the branch
remote pull/4 as pr/4 locally. Then I though I pushed it back, but
apparently that created a new branch in the origin called pr/4 instead
of getting my changes back into the remote pull/4.

Apparently the fetch line doesn't work like I expected.

Thanks,

Mark