Re: What do we think about always autoreconfing?

On Tue, 2021-04-13 at 08:33 -0400, Neal Gompa wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 13, 2021 at 8:24 AM Florian Weimer <fweimer@xxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > * Richard W. M. Jones:
> >
> > > Hijacking this thread originally about
> > > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Autoconf_271
> > >
> > > What is the current thinking in Fedora about always running
> > > "autoreconf -i" during builds that use autotools?
> >
> > I would prefer to do it because it aligns with Fedora's goal to
> > build
> > from sources.  But I expect it to be quite a bit of work.  Maybe
> > not for
> > each package on its own, but certainly across the entire
> > distribution.
> >

> I'd advocate for that as well. It brings us in-line with other build
> scripts and guarantees that everything actually works.

I'd advocate for that also, just add that sometimes we may have
bootstrap or autogen.sh script in upstream source and IMO we should use
it.

For example:
https://github.com/twaugh/patchutils/blob/master/bootstrap

https://github.com/sergiomb2/ufraw/blob/master/autogen.sh