Re: F35 Change proposal: RPM 4.17 (System-Wide Change proposal)

Panu Matilainen wrote:
> I'm starting to think the right thing to do is to move %check to run
> after %build rather than %install.

Here's one thing that would be affected by such a change:

https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/packaging-guidelines/Ada/#_runpaths

Our Ada packaging policy has a requirement to run check-rpaths at the
end of %check to guard against runpaths slipping into packaged files.
It was added on the FPC's request. They wanted it to run as late as
possible. Here's the discussion for reference:

https://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/teams/fpc/fpc.2013-12-19-17.02.log.html

check-rpaths checks files in RPM_BUILD_ROOT, so it would have to be
moved to the end of %install if %check would run before %install.

I'm aware that there's a proposal to run check-rpaths automatically on
all packages:

https://pagure.io/packaging-committee/issue/886

I think that's a good idea. If it gets implemented, then we can remove
check-rpaths from the Ada spec files – but there might be other similar
usecases where something runs in %check to check files in the buildroot,
which would break if %check would be moved before %install.

Björn Persson