Re: F35 Change proposal: RPM 4.17 (System-Wide Change proposal)

On 4/1/21 1:33 AM, Kalev Lember wrote:
On Thu, Apr 1, 2021 at 12:18 AM Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek <zbyszek@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:zbyszek@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    On Wed, Mar 31, 2021 at 11:45:54PM +0200, Miro Hrončok wrote:
     > On 31. 03. 21 21:52, Ben Cotton wrote:
     > >* Strict checking for unpackaged content in builds
     > >* Many existing packages will fail to build due to the stricter
     > >buildroot content checking. Fixing this in the packaging is always
     > >backwards compatible. We could temporarily set
     > >`%_unpackaged_files_terminate_build 0` in rawhide to alleviate
    initial
     > >impact if necessary.
     >
     > This is my main concern with this update.
     >
     > tl;dr If you %exclude something and there is no other subpackage to
     > own the files, the build fails:

    Whaaat? What is the point of %exclude if not to exclude files from the
    list? Why would rpm upstream want to break this? Seems like a completely
    backwards change that will make packaging harder instead of easier.

%exclude can be used for splitting up packages, so you can do

%files foo
%exclude bar.so
*.so

%files bar
bar.so

If my understanding is right, the above is what rpm upstream considers correct use for %exclude.

Indeed.

For just not packaging some files, rm at the end of %install usually works just fine (but people have also been using %exclude for that and this change would break a bunch of packages that do this. I'm unsure if it's a good thing or not).

I believe the motivation for that change is brp scripts that would still see the files that are %excluded in files and possibly do wrong things. Using rm in install doesn't have that problem.

More generally: what is not there can not cause unwanted side-effects.

File-level exclusion is impossible to meaningfully communicate to externally executed scripts, including but not limited to those shipping with rpm itself.

There are other benefits further down the road, such as automatic sub-packaging, enforcing %check will not muck with buildroot contents etc.

	- Panu -

--
Kalev