Re: RFC: declaring estimated per-builder RAM usage in spec file

On Thu, Apr 1, 2021 at 8:37 AM Kevin Kofler via devel
<devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> > Let's *not*. The amount of space saved in storage by putting socks and
> > underwear in their own separate drawers os often overwhelmed by the
> > space wasted in giving those drawers sides and a way to slide in and
> > out. In other words, it creates unnecessary overhead in managing build
> > environment resources. It's also difficult to predict in advance,
>
> I understand that point, but…
>
> > especially for the worst offenders, such as builds whose upstream
> > components are often pulled in dynamically: "pip install", "cpan",
> > "mvn", "gradle", "rubygem", and my recent favorite for unpredictable
> > and only erratically evailble dependencies, "go". While well designed
> > SRPMs and .spec files to rely only on other RPMs for their
> > dependencies, many in the field do not.
>
> … downloading dependencies from the Internet is a no go in Koji anyway!

It happens locally, rather than formally in koji or mock. I've had to
use it to build things like "cli53", which has a stunning mess of
golang dependencies hosted in github and beyond my ability to sort out
the dependency chains. I've also used it for pip based installs when
in a rush, using "python3 -m venv /opt/package; source
/opt/package/bin/activate; pip install package" to resolve a chain of
dependencies beyond my time and willingness to resolve as RPMs and
bundle them into an RPM containing /usr/local/package or /opt/package.
Since I've published working repos to build dependency chains of over
200 RPM based python modules in a set, I don't do that lightly.