Re: [ELN] Proposal: ELN Extra

On 19. 03. 21 16:28, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
On Fri, Mar 19, 2021 at 11:22 AM Troy Dawson <tdawson@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Fri, Mar 19, 2021 at 7:55 AM Miro Hrončok <mhroncok@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 19. 03. 21 15:25, Troy Dawson wrote:
Problem: Users might want to test ELN for their own package/product
that either is only in Fedora, or that has dependencies that are only
in Fedora and not ELN.

I am not sure I underrated this problem entirely.

I thought ELN is used as an additional repo on rawhide [1]. Hence, you get
access to all the rawhide packages when you use ELN. Has that changed?

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/ELN_Buildroot_and_Compose#How_To_Test

It has not.  And I might not totally understand the problem either.
It was other people who brought it up.  I am merely proposing a
solution to what I understand they were telling me.

The closest I have to this problem is having some EPEL packages that I
want to make sure don't break on RHEL, and I'd rather know sooner
rather than later.
But, as for me, I plan on using epel-next for that.

What we had discussed last week at the ELN meeting was the possibility
of opting in more packages to use the ELN buildroot as a way of
pre-seeding EPEL for RHEL 10. The primary purpose of this would be to
have a rolling bootstrap of EPEL 10, rather than the long gap after a
RHEL release.

With the current way of things (that could possibly change), when EPEL 10 is created, ELN is long gone in the RHEL 11 world.

I could only imagine this scheme:

ELN       ->  CentOS Stream N ->  RHEL N
ELN Extra  -> EPEL N Next      -> EPEL N

(With heroic efforts to align the arrows on the EPEL line to happen very soon after the arrows on the RHEL line.)

Even if we somehow manage do this, what benefits does it bring over:

ELN              ->  CentOS Stream N -> RHEL N
Rawhide/Branched  -> EPEL N Next      -> EPEL N

?
--
Miro Hrončok