Re: What next?

Paul A. Houle wrote:
On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 22:24:26 -0500, W. Michael Petullo <mike@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

- Bugzilla #158657 Build totem's Mozilla plugin
- Bugzilla #127537 Free software applet viewer plugin
- Free software flash viewer?

I hate to say it, but intellectual property restrictions make the multimedia software shipped with Fedora a joke, which I end up scrapping and replacing with stuff that plays media I get off the street.

Ogg is great, for instance, and I rip CDs with ogg, but if I want to listen to 99% of the audio streams out there, I need mp3, and that's a matter of trashing the multimedia stuff that comes with Fedora and replacing it. My flash mp3 player doesn't play ogg, and I'd rather install some encoder software of questionably status than shell out another $200 for one that does.

I know you can't really do anything about it, but this underlying problem makes improvements to multimedia players on Fedora like rearraigning the deck chairs on the titanic.

Has a high-ranked RedHat official ever tried calling Fraunhofer in Germany to negociate something ? Fraunhofer has always said they would not enfore the MP3 patents onto open-source and free projects. Maybe RHEL wouldn't qualify, but Fedora should be fine...