Re: ELN composes on mirrors

On Mon, Mar 15, 2021 at 09:23:01AM -0400, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:

> setting up rsync for this point will be a difficult problem and may need to
> be delayed for a long time.
>
> 1. ELN recomposes every 3-4 hours. The /srv/odcs is 4.8 TB and I think it
> is on SATA disks. This means that an rsync may take longer than the compose
> is alive, and rsync's will fail a lot with stale files most of the time.

It's on a SAS aggregate. ;)
But really... the number of people who would be downloading this is...
IMHO, very tiny.

> 2. If you are only doing it every day, then you are going to be 21 to 20
> hours off from 'new' at multiple times during the week.

Right. You should check with the ELN sig on composes.
I actually don't see many new ones, they may have changed cadience?

> 3. The existing http/rsync traffic for dl.fedoraproject.org has already
> maxed out our 1 gigabit link already. We are actually having to look to
> making all our rsyncs a 'hidden' mirror for only tier-1 mirrors.
>
> We are supposed to get an increased bandwidth to the site later this year
> but it is not certain when or how much we will have. Our download/mirror
> system also probably needs a rethought as it was essentially designed for a
> 1999 world and we are now in a 2020 network schema.

It has it's advantages and disadvantages for sure.

It's definirely not well suited to this content.

kevin