Re: Fedora's GPG key in DNS(SEC)

On Wed, Mar 10, 2021, at 7:32 AM, Petr Menšík wrote:
> I think Björn's point is valid note. Because DNSSEC is used to verify
> email of used key, but fedora.repo does not contain any hint about how
> email in GPG key should look like. Also does not contain fingerprint of
> such key. It would be nice to include email of included GPG key in repo
> file itself. If actual email in GPG did not match, dnf would refuse such
> key unless explicitly requested by user.
>
> What if we added to repos:
> gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-$releasever-$basearch
> gpgkeyid=mailto:fedora-$releasever-primary@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

See also https://github.com/rpm-software-management/libdnf/issues/43 - a massive difference today between /usr/bin/dnf and libdnf-based things (like rpm-ostree and PackageKit) is that libdnf auto-imports keys without prompting.

For ostree we added support for doing the same, so that's how our rpm-ostree based systems work by default (same set of GPG keys).

There should really be an entirely separate flow for system repos versus 3rd party.  It's just plain dumb for us to prompt the user "Do you trust this Fedora GPG key" if we already put the RPMs on disk!

This is still today worked around in e.g.
https://pagure.io/fedora-kickstarts/blob/main/f/fedora-cloud-base.ks#_110
for traditional yum/dnf based systems.

For 3rd party repositories like COPR, as I noted in that issue I think the best is to bootstrap trust over TLS - e.g. we have
```
gpgkeyfingerprint=<sha256>
```

Having the full fingerprint supports fetching the key from anywhere too.

And the fingerprint+key is fetched via TLS, effectively a trust-on-first-use style model.