Re: Fedora's GPG key in DNS(SEC)

Dne 08. 03. 21 v 15:01 Björn Persson napsal(a):
Suppose a bad guy has somehow tricked you into downloading a malicious
version of rpmfusion-free-release. The package is signed by
brad.guy@malicious.example, and the key is published in the domain
malicious.example. All the DNSsec signatures are in perfect order, so
you can be quite sure that the key really does belong to
brad.guy@malicious.example. Do you trust Brad? Should you install the
package?

Let's compare it to a current situation. I deleted F34 and F35 GPG keys from my system.

When I tried to run (and I used distribution-gpg-key package for the test):

# dnf install http://ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de/fedora/linux/development/rawhide/Everything/x86_64/os/Packages/d/distribution-gpg-keys-1.51-1.fc35.noarch.rpm

Then DNF does not blink an eye and install this package even when the GPG keys is not known. (it is because of default setting of localpkg_gpgcheck).

BTW when I try:
# rpm -i distribution-gpg-keys-1.51-1.fc35.noarch.rpm
warning: distribution-gpg-keys-1.51-1.fc35.noarch.rpm: Header V4 RSA/SHA256 Signature, key ID 9867c58f: NOKEY

I.e. the package have been installed. Though rpm emits a warning. But I doubt that average sysadmin would treat this warning seriously.

And if you download and install package containing .repo file where baseurl points to malicious repo and the package install malicious GPG key, then you are screwed anyway.
In postscriptlet, or unit file, you can import the GPG key to rpmdb and do whatever you want.

It does not matter if you used DNS(SEC) verification or not. You simple should check the GPG key and you should not trust the key emmited by brad.guy@malicious.example.

Obviously we want a package signed by an attacker to fail the
verification. Section 3 of your thesis describes how the modified DNF
uses DNSsec to verify that the key is valid for the stated email
address, but I don't see anything about how it decides whether the
email address is correct for the repository, or whether the person
behind that email address is trusted. You state that the DNS server
isn't necessarily in the same domain as the repository, so it's not as
simple as comparing the domain names. Could you explain how the email
address is validated?

The domain for the repository above is ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de, but the GPG key for packages there use @fedoraproject.org. That's what an author meant.

Now, lets try something little different. I still do not have F34 and F35 GPG keys. I am on F33. And lets run:

# dnf install --releasever=34 distribution-gpg-keys
Installed size: 434 k
Is this ok [y/N]: y
Downloading Packages:
Importing GPG key 0x45719A39:
 Userid     : "Fedora (34) <fedora-34-primary@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>"
 Fingerprint: 8C5B A699 0BDB 26E1 9F2A 1A80 1161 AE69 4571 9A39
 From       : /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-34-x86_64
Is this ok [y/N]:

That is interesting. Let pretend that attacker changed something by MITM attack and tricked me to download his package. If he signed package using brad.guy@malicious.example email. Then DNF will tell me:

Importing GPG key 0x45719A39:
 Userid     : "hahah <brad.guy@malicious.example>"
 Fingerprint: some thing bad and not matching
 From       : /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-34-x86_64

The package is signed using brad.guy@malicious.example and if he has corresponding DNS entry and DNSSEC on malicious.example, then DNF tells me:
  Verified using DNS record with DNSSEC signature.
I.e. that owner of malicious.example domain say that GPG key for
  brad.guy@malicious.example is correct.
I would need to be dumb to allow import of brad.guy@malicious.example GPG key.

Attacker learned the lesson and he created new GPG pair and he use email address fedora-34-primary@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. GPG will not stop you. And it is okay to have several GPG keys for one email (CentOS does that).

I run dnf again and DNF tells me:
Importing GPG key 0x45719A39:
 Userid     : "Fedora (34) <fedora-34-primary@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>"
 Fingerprint: some thing not correct
 From       : /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-34-x86_64
Is this ok [y/N]:

The email match. The filename match. Fingerprint? That is long, there is no time. It is ok, proceed.... and voila, I am hacked.

Let's try that with
  gpgkey_dns_verification=1

Importing GPG key 0x45719A39:
 Userid     : "Fedora (34) <fedora-34-primary@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>"
 Fingerprint: some thing not correct
 From       : /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-34-x86_64
 NOT verified using DNS record.
Is this ok [y/N]:

That sounds fishy. I will try to check the fingerprint. But even if I proceed. Then every time DNF starts, it will check the DNS entries and I will get:

"GPG Key {} could not be verified, because DNSSEC signatures"
" are bogus. Possible causes: wrong configuration of the DNS"
      " server, MITM attack".format(key.email)

This is getting long. What is the conclusion? GPG in DNS is not equivalent of **authorization**. It is still up to admin to approve the key. And it will not open your system. Not more than it is now. GPG in DNS is more equivalent of **authentication**. You will not need to compute fingerprint and manually compare it with fingerprint on website (or what you are using). When the email is foo@xxxxxxxxxx and have DNS(SEC) entry then you can be sure that the domain owner confirms the identity of that GPG keys. It is up to you whether you will trust the owner of that domain.

--
Miroslav Suchy, RHCA
Red Hat, Associate Manager, Community Packaging Tools, #brno, #fedora-buildsys