Re: F35 Change: "Fedora Linux" in /etc/os-release

On Wed, 2021-03-10 at 10:21 -0500, Ben Cotton wrote:
> ...[snip]
> From the Community Blog post[1]:
>
> > Why not use “Fedora GNU+Linux” or some similar name? We want to be
> > easy to say. The more words we add, the harder that is. And while
> > GNU is an important part of Fedora Linux, there are many other
> > packages that make Fedora Linux what it is. “Linux” is, for better
> > or worse, the commonly-understood phrasing, so let’s just use that.
>
> [1]
> https://communityblog.fedoraproject.org/fedora-is-a-community-fedora-linux-is-our-os/

I would have to agree with Matthew and Ben regarding the name. Fedora
began as a collection of like minded individuals who took the effort to
establish the four foudation prinicpals before assembling a working
distribution which itself is focused around FLOSS and is very specific
and firm about licensing requirements WRT what is allowed to ship as
part of the official distro. This Fedora community took on a greater
role than merely a linux distirbution, often times having a direct
impact on the greater linux community in the process. For my part, it
is in my own thoughts that I inherently differentiate between the
distro and some other aspect of the Fedora Project, when using the same
name for different aspects of Fedora
Project/Community/Magazine/Discussion/etc... So calling the distro, in
it's many official releases, Fedora-Linux at the code base level, so
the ID that packages/apps should be using to verify OS, is just a
programatic change that will have little to no affect in user level
usage, and minimal affect for dev's. Naming things is what people do,
and by clearly naming things we can easier differentiate between the
various aspects of what constitutes the Fedora Ecosystem.

Just my two cents worth.

Stephen