Re: How to handle nginx 3rd party modules?

On Tue, Mar 09, 2021 at 10:29:53AM -0500, Felix Kaechele via devel wrote:
[snip great email]
> So I'd appreciate some input here as to what the best way forward would be
> from a distribution engineering perspective.

Hi Felix, that's a fantastic write up!

I think you have outlined the different options, the complexity and
trade-offs involved there extremely well, that matches exactly how I see
it.

One thing I'd add - even for something as "simple" as the lua module,
the OpenResty folks seem to not recommend it's used with upstream nginx,
instead they recommend what is basically their own fork of nginx:
https://github.com/openresty/lua-nginx-module#installation

Hence it's never been obvious to me that if you start down this road, it
you can easily stop.  If you worked out how to ship the lua module, the
next bug report will be that you need to adopt a handful of the
OpenResty patches for nginx as well to make the lua module work
properly.  And then you end up packaging "OpenResty" rather than
"nginx"?

For RHEL we have maintained a hard line on your (4) - just don't do it.
We ship "nginx", and that's it.  Until NGINX upstream wants to support
an external API/ABI and externally built third-party modules, we should
not try to do it ourselves.  (Apache httpd has supported this model for
*over two decades*.  It's not like it is rocket science, nor can it be
unclear there is is some demand for this.)

I think your option (1) - bundle some extra modules directly in the
nginx SRPM - would be absolutely fine for Fedora *if* those maintaining
that package have the time & effort to maintaining that.  I'm afraid I'm
not going to volunteer any time for that though :(

Regards, Joe [Manager for team which owns RHEL HTTP servers, inter alia]