Re: annobin breaks reproducibility?

Hi Nick,

First of all, thank you for answer.

Le 3/9/21 à 1:24 PM, Nick Clifton a écrit :
Hi Frédéric,

I'm currently working on reproducibility for Fedora packages and I'm hitting an issue with lto/annobin.

     35: 0000000000002af0     0 NOTYPE  LOCAL  HIDDEN    13 .annobin_dummyqbs_drv.so.MDkv6z.ltrans0.o

Do you have any idea what would be the best strategy to fix that? lto-wrapper or in the annobin plugin?

Ah - so LTO is using temporary file names and these are being picked up by
the annobin plugin and inserted into the output binary.  I think that it
is safe to assume that LTO should not be using fixed file names, given the
potential security and parallel compilation implications, so the place to
fix this is in the annobin plugin.

So the question becomes, what name should the annobin plugin use ?

Currently the plugin uses the first name in the in_fnames[] array, if it is
available and main_input_filename otherwise.  The name chosen does not have
to be unique however, although it certainly helpful for debugging if it can
be related back to the input source file.  Perhaps if the compiler is in LTO
mode then the plugin should terminate the name chosen at the first period ?
(So "dummy_drv.so.MDkv6z.ltrans.0" becomes "dummy_drv.so").

What do you think ?

I think this is indeed the right choice and probably the more relevant info with respect the original source file. If you need some help for testing/fixing that, please don't hesitate. I would be happy to help. I'm also on IRC #fedora-devel.

Cheers
   Nick

Thank you again.
Frédéric