Re: Request to include package: coreboot

On Mon, Mar 8, 2021 at 10:22 AM Petr Pisar <ppisar@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> V Sat, Mar 06, 2021 at 06:30:53PM -0500, Matthew Miller napsal(a):
> > On Sat, Mar 06, 2021 at 07:13:07PM -0000, Reon Beon via devel wrote:
> > > People that want more security, uefi if they have only bios supported, or
> > > boot speed. Also no other distros have it packaged yet so also people that
> > > want to work on a upstream version.
> >
> > But it doesn't run _in_ the distro, and is deeply tied to the hardware. What
> > would be the advantage for the end user in having it packaged by the
> > distribution?
> >
> Fedora already distributes plenty of firmware:
>
> # dnf -q repoquery '*-firmware' |wc -l
> 38

Most of those firmware are for attached hardware and not the device
firmware, the exceptions here are basically U-Boot and the firmware
for the Raspberry Pi, and frankly if I didn't have to deal with that I
would be extremely happy.

> However, <https://fwupd.org/> repository might be more suitable than Fedora
> repository.

Yes, given that hardware initialisation and early boot firmware is
special on a number of levels I think that is by far the best location
for it. New releases of fwupdmgr also have the concept for firmware
streams so you can switch between different variants of firmware for
the same device which caters nicely for this exact use case.

Peter