Re: Fedora 34 Change: GitRepos-master-to-main (Self-Contained Change)

On Tue, Mar 02, 2021 at 11:36:45AM -0600, Renich Bon Ciric wrote:
> I haven't read the whole thread but I cannot believe everybody just
> went with it.
>
> What is the practical purpose of changing master to main? I see no
> benefit whatsoever. We're only making this politicized.
>
> I haven't checked the tickets but I'd bet my left arm on us not having
> a single ticket from an individual telling us they were discouraged to
> participate in any of our projects due to our use of "master" in git.
> This, for me, is beyond ridiculous but, even more incredible that
> nobody dared to lift their arm against it.
>
> This isn't helping anyone. It's just succumbing to political pressure.
> And here I was thinking that people here wouldn't have it.
>
> I, for one, totally disagree with this change. Especially for the
> reasons it's being done.

So, I think it's pretty moot at this point, since the change was already
discussed, approved and implemented and the chances of us reverting it
are very small.

That said, I think you deserve at least a reply here.

The purpose here is to make the Fedora project a more welcoming place to
people who _do_ find those terms unwelcome. That doesn't mean everyone
does. It means we want to be welcoming and not jerks.

I'm personally happy to do things to make people more welcome.
Even if they are small things and cause a small amount of work for us
existing contributors.

If you have a few minutes, take a look at:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0shU2g4IoI
(Rich Bowens talk at nest with fedora on this topic).

kevin