Re: systemd-resolved fallback DNS servers: usability vs. GDPR

Tadej Janež wrote:
> I would argue that the change causes noticeable problems and we want to
> reconsider this change.
> In particular, I think cloud image users would prefer to have their
> cloud instances usable out of the box, i.e. have DNS working out-of-the
> box.
>
> Don't get me wrong, I understand the privacy concerns and I think
> Fedora should strive to protect the privacy of its users as much as
> possible, but at the same time, the circumstances of a cloud instance
> are probably very different from a e.g. workstation instance.

Well, this silent fallback behavior is one of the reasons I have refused to
use systemd-resolved at all so far.

The issue with the cloud setups would also have been caught much earlier if
it had failed right away and not silently used an external DNServer.
Ignoring broken configuration and just using the default is not useful error
handling.

And the real issue is that systemd-resolved has broken cloud-init, so
cloud-init needs to be fixed/updated.

It is unfortunate that this behavior has changed in an update. This has
happened because all the complaints about the old behavior back when the
Change proposal was discussed (i.e., BEFORE Fedora 33 was released) were
completely ignored by the Change owners and by FESCo (even though the fix
was apparently a one-line change that could easily have been made before the
release). Concerns raised during the discussion required by the Change
process ought to be taken more seriously in the future.

        Kevin Kofler