Re: systemd-resolved fallback DNS servers: usability vs. GDPR

On Mon, Feb 22, 2021 at 10:57 am, David Both <LinuxGeek46@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
do not think this is a cloud-init problem. None of my hosts are in any cloud and most failed to resolve after upgrade to F33. Only after reverting to nss
resolver by disabling systemd-resolved did the problem disappear.

Hi David, your issue is totally different. Let's continue to discuss your issue in the other thread. You appear to be having some problem with configuration from DHCP possibly not being propagated to systemd-resolved, which suggests either a network level problem or a NetworkManager issue. But this thread is about simple static configuration on cloud servers where no DHCP is available.

In both threads, the question is "why did nobody tell systemd-resolved which DNS servers to use?" In your thread, I would expect NetworkManager to get DNS configuration from DHCP and propagate that to systemd-resolved. In this thread, I would expect the cloud provider to hardcode some DNS servers in resolved.conf. So far we don't have any evidence of a systemd-resolved bug in either thread. I would be pretty surprised if it's not sending your DNS queries exactly where it is configured to do so. The mystery is to figure out why it has been misconfigured. And in case of cloud servers, cloud-init seems like the right place to handle that.

Michael